Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Background Characters

In every movie and book, there are background characters. They usually don't say too much; sometimes it's only a line or two of dialogue. You might not even know their name, so when you talk about them you're forced to refer to them as "That One Guy" or "What's Her Face". They usually just stand around the main character, eating fries, or doing whatever background characters do. However, we must realize that the movie/book/whatever would be bland and boring without them. Here are a few of my favorites.

Trixie (from Toy Story 3)
Who she is: Trixie is the internet-savvy and adorable little triceratops toy in Bonnie's bedroom that Woody befriends.

Why I like her: She made me laugh when the rest of the movie made me cry.

Mr. Narwhal (from Elf)
Who he is: If you don't know, I'm not going to tell you. You have to hate Christmas or something not to have seen this movie. Scrooge.

Why I like him: It just wouldn’t be Christmas unless we saw Mr. Narwhal pop mysteriously out of the water to say his only line of dialogue: “Goodbye, Buddy. Hope you find your dad.” If you’re setting forth on a journey of self-discovery, wouldn’t you want a few kind words from a gentle, horned sea mammal? I sure would.

The Grandma (from Mulan)
Who she is: The kooky and fearless grandmother who believes in lucky insects.

Why I like her: She's such a cute old lady. And she's pretty blunt about what she thinks. For instance: when Mulan comes home from saving China and kicking some Hun derriere, the first thing she says is "Oh, she brought home a sword. If you ask me, she should've brought home a man!" *Shang walks in* "Ooh! Sign me up for the next war!"

The Gate Key Guy (from The Princess Bride)
Who he is: Um...self explanatory.
"Give us the gate keys."
"I have no gate keys."
"Fezzik, rip his arms off."
"Oh, you mean *these* gate keys?"

Why I like him: He just makes me laugh. That's all.

Pascal (from Tangled)
Who he is: The loyal and fantastic chameleon that is always at Rapunzel's side. Also another great one from that movie is Maximus, the horse...who acts like a dog. And that old guy who looks like Cupid. He's great too.

Why I like him: Click on his name and watch the video. You'll see why.

Who are YOUR favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment